Use fresh or frozen cranberries in this recipe for the best results. Discard any that are blemished or shriveled.
- 6–7 Cortland, MacIntosh or Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 recipe Easy Whole-Wheat Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the apples and measure roughly 8 cups. Add to a large bowl with the cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Toss together to coat the fruit evenly.
- Pour into the prepared bottom pie crust, mounding in the center.
- Top with the remaining pie crust, rolled out between two pieces of parchment paper. Tuck in the excess pie crust around the edges and press with a fork to seal.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 F.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes. If the crust starts to brown too much during the baking process, cover the pie loosely with a piece of foil.
- Remove from the oven and let cool fully before slicing.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, as desired.
Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap or foil in the fridge for up to 3 days.