With a simple oven-baked method and fresh ingredients that get stirred in at the end, this Baked Brown Rice Risotto is an easy option for.
Brown Rice Risotto
I love that potluck-style meals are the norm here in the Midwest when eating with others because it takes the pressure off of hosting and it means that we all get to share some things from our own kitchens. I love to bring easy dishes like this Baked Brown Rice Risotto since it’s simple to make and is kid-friendly.
The traditional way to make risotto involves standing by the stove and stirring warm broth into the pot with rice. I love traditional risotto, but I find it to be nearly impossible to make with toddlers and kids underfoot. Which is why baking it in the oven is such a nice option!
Ingredients in Baked Brown Rice Risotto
To make this recipe you’ll need long grain brown rice, broth, zucchini, frozen peas, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Nothing too complicated and mostly ingredients you can keep on hand.
How to Make Baked Brown Rice Risotto Step-by-Step
Here’s a look at the process involved in making this brown rice risotto.
- Gather the ingredients and preheat the oven.
- Add the rice and chicken stock to a 2 or 3 quart baking dish. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in the peas, zucchini, Parmesan, butter, and salt until well combined.
- Cover tightly for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Can I make this Baked Risotto ahead of time?
Yes! You can also make it ahead of time and warm it right before dinner, so it’s a stress-free entree option. And it means that the leftovers are good to eat for a few days after if you have some extra.
- Be sure to cover the rice for half of the cooking.
- When you remove the pan from the oven at the end of cooking, there may be a little liquid left and the rice may not be 100% super soft. This is okay! It will continue to cook a bit as it sits.
- Use a broth that you like the flavor of and season to taste with salt if needed.
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe if you make it, so please share below in the comments!Print
We like this as a vegetarian main dish or as a side for a meat main. You can also double it and use a larger pan to feed a crowd. Adapted from Ina Garten
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2-1 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add the rice and chicken stock to a 2 or 3 quart baking dish. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven. (There may be a little liquid in the pan and there may be a few bits of rice that aren’t yet 100% super soft yet. It’s okay as it will keep cooking in Step 3!)
- Stir in the peas, zucchini, Parmesan, butter, and salt until well combined. Cover tightly for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Use vegetable stock to make the dish vegetarian.
Stir in 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves before serving for more flavor.
Try diced asparagus in place of the zucchini.