Tofu is one of my go-to affordable protein sources and after serving it to my kids enough times, they finally like it! This Sesame Tofu recipe is one of our favorite ways to enjoy it.
Tofu seems to be one of those divisive foods that people either love or hate, but I’m firmly in the love camp—and this easy methods of making it has made my kids fans too.
Knowing how to cook tofu can seem daunting if you’re new to it, but this healthy way of cooking Sesame Tofu is both easy and delicious.
TIP: I like to keep a package of tofu in the fridge to use on nights when I’m looking for plant-based protein to add to dinner. It lasts a really long time!
Pan-Fried Sesame Tofu
You don’t need to use a lot of oil to make this tofu recipe, but the small amount crisps up the edges of the tofu nicely. And the toasted sesame oil has such great flavor.
Ingredients in Sesame Tofu
To make this simple family dinner, you’ll just need tofu and toasted sesame oil. That’s it! (And whatever else you plan to serve it with for dinner.)
What kind of tofu is best in this recipe?
Extra-firm tofu works best in this recipe, or at least it’s the texture that I prefer. It holds it’s shape nicely and doesn’t break much when cooking.
TIP: You can also try using the super firm tofu from Trader Joe’s, which is much firmer (and has more protein since more water has been removed.)
How to Make Sesame Tofu Step by Step
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain off the liquid. Place on a towel-lined plate, top with another clean towel and plate. Let sit.
- Chop tofu.
- Pan-fry in warm oil.
- Flip to finish cooking.
Scroll down to the recipe to see the full information.
What should I serve this tofu with?
We like this healthy tofu with rice and sauteed veggies. You can saute any mix of chopped veggies like carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, or snap peas, in a little additional toasted sesame oil.
If you want to add extra flavor to a rice bowl with Sesame Tofu, you can drizzle with a little soy sauce and honey for an easy riff on teriyaki sauce.
Tips for Making the Best Sesame Tofu
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Warm to serve.
- To do this in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet, use 2 tablespoons oil to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Let the oil warm for at least 30 seconds in the pan before adding the tofu to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Drain the tofu on towels stacked with plates for the best texture.
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe if you try it, so please comment below with feedback!Print
This simple pan-fried tofu is a perfect match for sauteed veggies and rice.
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 container extra-firm tofu
- Open the tofu and remove it from the package. Discard the liquid.
- Place it on top of a towel-lined plate. Top with another towel and plate. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours. (You can do this in the morning and stick it into the fridge to wait for dinner.)
- Dice the tofu.
- Warm the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the tofu and let cook for about 6 minutes.
- Flip over and cook for an additional 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with rice, veggies, or eggs.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Warm to serve.
To do this in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet, use 2 tablespoons oil to ensure it doesn’t stick.
Let the oil warm for at least 30 seconds in the pan before adding the tofu to ensure it doesn’t stick.
Drain the tofu on towels stacked with plates for the best texture.