Packed with plant-based protein, this easy one-pot Vegetarian Rice and Lentils boasts subtle Moroccan flavors and sweetness from dried fruit. It’s an easy and kid-friendly way to introduce your family to lentils!
Easy Lentils and Rice
I do my best to serve family dinners that have a lot of protein, but I actually try to not to serve meat every night to keep our food budget in check. So a few times I week, I turn to vegetarian meals like this lentils and rice recipe.
Brown Rice and Lentils
Short grain brown rice and brown or green lentils cook in about the same amount of time, with the same liquid needs, so I love to cook them together in the same pot. Combined with a sauteed onion, warm Moroccan spices, and sweet dried fruit, the resulting dinner is a delicious combination of flavors.
TIP: You can stir in shredded spinach or kale for additional nutrition in this easy meal.
Ingredients in Lentils and Rice
To make this recipe you’ll need brown or green dried, uncooked lentils, short grain brown rice, dried fruit, an onion, and garlic. You’ll also need either butter or olive oil.
TIP: If you want to skip the fresh garlic, you can substitute garlic powder.
How to Make Lentils and Rice Step-by-Step
Here’s a look at the easy process involved in making this recipe.
- You’ll start by sauteeing an onion in butter or olive oil.
- Add the rice and lentils.
- Add the broth and spices. Stir.
- Cover and cook until softened all the way through. Stir in the dried fruit and greens, if using.
Mediterranean Rice and Lentils Recipe
The combination of cumin and cinnamon makes this vegetarian dinner have flavors that aren’t too overpowering. The slightly sweetness makes this an easier sell with the kids!
Can I make this with other types of rice?
Sure! I use short grain brown rice since it cooks in about the same time as lentils, but if you use another kind of rice, you just may have rice that’s a little softer than the lentils.
What should I do if my lentils and rice aren’t soft at the end of the cooking time?
Simply add 1/2-1 cup additional water, stir, and cover to continue cooking. Rice can vary from brand to brand, but it’s easy to continue cooking if needed.
Tips for Making the Best Lentils and Rice
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Warm to serve.
- If using apricots, cut into smaller pieces with a knife or kitchen shears.
- Top with salted cashews, roasted sunflower seeds, crumbled goat cheese, or shredded cheese, if desired.
- Adults may want to add hot sauce.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe so please comment below to share.Print
Serve this easy family meal with optional toppings according to what everyone likes.
- 2 tablespoons butter or
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries, cranberries, apricots, or raisins
- 1–2 cup cups shredded kale or spinach, optional
- cashews, roasted sunflower seeds, crumbled goat cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, optional to top
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until the onion is just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and lentils. Add the broth. Bring to a simmer, turn heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the broth is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, , salt, and dried fruit. Add greens if using. Cover for 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and serve.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Warm to serve.
If using apricots, cut into smaller pieces with a knife or kitchen shears.