Light and fluffy mini cupcakes that taste like classic carrot cake—but with much less sugar! Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coat 24 mini muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper bake cups. Combine flours, sugar, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine carrots, applesauce, egg, and vanilla. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture; and stir together gently. Divide among the prepared muffin tin, filling about to the top edge.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Serve immediately.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Stir together (or use a hand-held mixer) 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread onto cupcakes or place into a zip top plastic bag, snip off one corner, and pipe onto cupcakes.
These cupcakes can be made a day ahead and stored at room temperature. Frost right before serving if possible.